This article first appeared in 2014 on SpreadItFast.com.
Held semi-annually, the Paris Fashion Week is one of the world’s most popular and glamorous clothing trade shows. Designers, models, artists, Hollywood celebrities and A-listers attend the event, which is actually the culmination of four major fashion weeks: the London Fashion Week, Milan Fashion Week, New York Fashion Week and, of course, Paris Fashion Week.
This year, the 2014 Paris Fashion Week fell on the week after the Academy gave out the Oscar Awards. Thus, the event was graced by some of the big winners, particularly Lupita Nyong’o and Jared Leto. But it wasn’t their presence that hogged the spotlight; it was the dresses models showed off on the catwalk that made a big splash.
There were too many fashionably interesting masterpieces showcased at the Paris Fashion Week, but the ones that really stood out and shone are those with unique charm, style and quality. Here are some examples:
- Miu Miu printed numbers. There’s a long coat with a black cat hidden by flowers and a coat with big collars and pockets, printed with big colored prints. Both coats were paired with laced boots and boxy bags. There are also tropical birds prints. These dresses stand out because they’re a bold statement. Seldom do we see designer’s outfits printed with animals.
- Valentino’s new concept for gowns also deserves a place in this best of the best list. The gowns had sheer embroidered long sleeves and a fully pleated skirt. What makes the gowns stand out is its multi-colored embroidered skirt. It perfectly mixes the traditional and the modern.
- Stella McCartney also showcased some interesting fashion. Perfect for partying the night away in dance floors are her slinky cocktail dresses. The color combinations are unlike any that you’ve seen from her before – and they blend beautifully. McCartney’s style had the multi-colored dresses practically draped around the bodies. Something about the dresses denotes ease and comfort.
- Another Valentino number, one with a 60s like feel, was sashayed on the catwalk. The red long sleeved minidress is classically elegant. No frills and laces; its collar provides the accessory you will need.
- Extra sheer tuxedo shirts were the order of the day for Saint Laurent. Paired with skinny trousers that were tapered just right, the look easily captured the audience’s attention. A black leather jacket completed the sexy-in-a-different-way outfit.
- Gianmbattista Valli played with lace and sheer prints this year. The result is a beautiful demure looking dress. Its demure quality is quickly overpowered once you notice its absolute sheerness. You’ll have to wear designer underwear with this cinch-waist dress! It stands out because it successfully combines the angelic and daring look.
- Beauty in simplicity was what Stella McCartney had in mind when she came up with the design for a collared shirtdress. Done in pale pink, the dress is perfect for everyday activities. Pair it off with your favorite sunglasses and sandals or mules, and you’re off to have fun with friends. It’s a refreshing break from all the fantabulous pieces normally seen in fashion week runways.
Once again, the Paris Fashion Week managed to serve a variety of unique and stylish dresses. Let’s hope these lines make a significant impression on the fashion world for the remainder of the year.